Erectile dysfunction (ED) and premature ejaculation (PE) affects more than half of all males at some time in their life. Dr. Richard Gaines, Chief Medical Officer of LifeGaines, is at the forefront of this fast-evolving sexual health paradigm and continues to innovate with new treatments to combat the debilitating effects of erectile dysfunction.
Dr. Gaines and his team of highly-trained physicians are lead providers for treatment in men’s health and wellness – including erectile dysfunction (ED), premature ejaculation, low testosterone, and more. Since completing his residency at the Harvard School of Medicine, Dr. Gaines has treated thousands of people for erectile dysfunction (ED). Through a comprehensive, customized treatment plan for sexual dysfunction and hormonal deficiencies combined with cutting-edge ED technology, Dr. Gaines and his team ensure each patient achieves their desired results.
ED treatment programs at LifeGaines start with individual assessments for each patient, contrary to the common practice of prescribing a one-size-fits-all medicine (e.g., Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, etc.). For those with pre-existing heart and blood pressure issues, this technique is typically too simplistic and ineffective.
Understanding Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is one of the most common sexual health problems that men experience throughout their lifetime. ED is defined as difficulty obtaining or maintaining a firm enough erection for intercourse. During a normal erection, the brain sends a signal to the spinal cord to enhance blood flow into the pelvic region. Following this, blood fills the penis, which causes it to grow erect. When this fails to happen, erectile dysfunction develops. The causes of ED tend to be brought on by things that affect either the nerves—which create signals in the body to increase blood flow—or blood vessels that carry the blood throughout the body.
Some of the causes of ED include:
- Alcohol or substance abuse
- Damaged blood vessels
- When blood flow is limited or harmed nerves
- Stress or emotional problems
- Hormone deficiencies
- Neurological system impairments
- As the first sign of a more severe illness such as diabetes, atherosclerosis (hardened or blocked arteries), heart disease, etc.
Common Misconceptions About Erectile Dysfunction
There are many misconceptions related to the causes, symptoms, and treatments of erectile dysfunction (ED); it can be hard to know what’s true. Here we dispel some of the common myths you may hear or read about ED:
- “All men have erectile dysfunction (ED) sometimes.”
Almost every male has had the experience of being unable to keep an erection long enough to engage in sexual activity. Your ability to achieve and maintain an erection can be affected by stress, lack of sleep, and excessive drinking. The good news is we offer individualized treatment that can help.
- “ED is not the same for everyone.”
Some men mistakenly believe that because they can get firm, they don’t have ED. You can have ED if 1.) you can attain a hard erection but lose it quickly, 2.) you can penetrate but then lose your erection, or 3.) you have a very soft erection. If you notice any changes in your ability to get or stay firm, we can help you. Our ED doctors at LifeGaines will assess your condition and create a customized treatment plan tailored to your needs.
- “ED is serious.”
Research shows that blood vessels in the penis are smaller and begin to shrink long before those in the heart or brain. As a result, ED may be one of the earliest indicators of a more severe health issue like high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart disease. As a result, don’t put off booking an appointment. Our ED doctors can determine whether your ED is due to a health condition or something else.
- “Viagra isn’t the only treatment option.”
Another big misconception regarding erectile dysfunction is the treatment of it. Many mistakenly believe Viagra and similar drugs to be the only treatment option available. This could not be further from the truth. Once our ED doctors determine the underlying causes of your ED, they will present you with the most effective treatment options available for you.
Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction
Many effective treatments are available for ED. LifeGaines in Boca Raton will work with you to find the best option for you. The first step toward recovery is communicating openly with our ED doctors about your ED to help us determine its underlying cause.
Some possible treatment options include:
- Oral medications, such as Viagra or Cialis
- Penis injections, such as phentolamine
- Testosterone replacement through medications, injections, or gum
- Penis pumps, which use a vacuum mechanism to give an erection
- Penis implants, which use inflatable or rigid rods to offer control of the time and duration of the erection
Questions an Erectile Dysfunction Doctor May Ask
To determine the underlying cause of ED, our ED doctors may ask the following questions about your medical and sexual history. Your answers to these questions may offer evidence of the cause of your ED.
Our ED doctors may inquire about:
- Other health issues and chronic conditions
- Other sexual complexities
- Change in your libido/sexual desires
- Whether you get an erection during masturbation
- Whether you get erections during sleep
- Problems you are facing in your sexual relationship
- When your sexual problems started
- How often you experience erectile dysfunction
- What helps improve or worsen your ED
- Whether you suffer from depression, stress, or anxiety
- The medications you take
- Any herbal or alternative supplements
- Whether you consume alcohol, illicit drugs, or cigarettes
Questions to Ask Our ED Doctors in Boca Raton About Erectile Dysfunction
Do not feel shy to ask our ED doctors any questions you have about ED and its treatment, including:
- What do you think is the cause of my ED?
- What tests do I need to take?
- Is my ED temporary, or is it a lifelong condition?
- How should I treat my ED?
- What if one treatment does not work? Are there other options?
- Are there any foods, behaviors, or medications I should avoid to improve or prevent my ED?
- How much will ED treatment cost me?
Contact Our Erectile Dysfunction Clinic in Boca Raton, Floria
Erectile dysfunction will affect over half of males in the United States at some point during their life. However, Dr. Richard Gaines, CMO of LifeGaines here in Boca Raton, is highly established and knowledgeable in this area of sexual health. Therefore, we continue to introduce new treatments that focus on reversing the life-affecting effects of erectile dysfunction.
Thanks to the efforts of the LifeGaines sexual health team, countless individuals have been given access to a comprehensive treatment plan for their hormonal deficiencies and sexual dysfunction disorders. Each of our ED treatment programs are tailored to each patient, a refreshing departure from the usual one-size-fits-all method at many other practices.
Our expert team of physicians at LifeGaines are leading providers in men’s health and wellness. With innovative technology, our men’s ED clinic is helping every patient achieve the results they deserve. If you are suffering from ED or other sexual health-related issues, do not hesitate to contact us today.